Unsettling– that’s the word we’d choose if we had to pick one word for the MTV VMAs 2015. While there were a few touching, “aww-inducing” moments, the rest was a swirling vortex of entropy, with pigs, presidents and pretty little drag queens. The Video Music Awards the lowest audience this year, and maybe we were not the only ones with a bad feeling about having Miley Cyrus as the host to the show, which, for the previous two years, hadn’t had any.
Taylor Swift won the most number of awards (4), as well as had the maximum number of nominations (10). In case you missed the VMAs this year, check out our list of the top ten not-to-be-missed moments that more or less summarize the entire event.
- Nicki Minaj killed it onstage with her opening performance of ‘Trini Dem Girls’, bringing feathers back to fashion. And then joining her in the middle of ‘The Night is Still Young’, was none other than Taylor Swift, finishing the performance with the chorus from ‘Bad Blood’. Yep, the last pair we’d expect to be wearing matching red outfits, slayed it together onstage. The notorious twitter feud is officially over.
- Miley Cyrus put on an array of vivid, crazy outfits, that ranged from the glittery pink leotard to the wild eyeball bikini to the strategically placed m&ms. Most websites talking about the VMAs definitely have a list of her weirdest costumes, ranked.
- Justin Bieber’s comeback performance on ‘Where are U now‘ and ‘What do you mean?’ left the audience mesmerised, and we bet his gravity-defying stunt didn’t have as much to do with it as were his powerful emotions. (Okay, we have to agree, that whole flying part was pretty cool.) The positive audience support, however, left the singer in tears, and even the anti-beliebers would now be inclined to give him a second chance, seeing the sincerity of his performance.
- Taylor Swift released the music video for the fifth song, ‘Wildest Dreams’, from her album, 1989, right before the main show, and left everyone’s jaws dropped. Stay tuned to I’m MAD for a detailed review of how Scott Eastwood in the 40s era can make all your wildest dreams come true.
- Fetty Wap became the “Artist to Watch” after winning the Best New Artist award, beating George Ezra, Vance Joy, James Bay and FKA Twigs. Make sure to check out his chart topping ‘Trap Queen’ and ‘My Way’.
- Demi Lovato looked smoking hot during her performance of ‘Cool for the summer’ on the Pepsi Stage during the VMAs. Even though she was joined by Iggy Azalea mid-performance, we couldn’t take our eyes off the brunette singer, who looked just as stunning in her rhinestone-and-ribbon costume as she did in her pink, skin tight gown on the red carpet.
- Miley brought up onstage the cast of Drag Race during her performance of ‘DOOO IT’ as the closing performance, and released her album, ‘Miley and Her Dead Petz’ online, and for free.
- There were many uncomfortable, disturbing subtexts during the entire show, which we couldn’t overlook, even if we tried to; Miley using the term “mammy” to refer to Snoop Dogg, or the duo making jokes about pot, Rebel Wilson’s jest about police brutality, and Macklemore using POC as barely background props. MTV really needs to remember the wide range of audience the VMAs has and plan the next award ceremony accordingly.
- Kanye West received the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard award, and during his acceptance speech, expressed a number of things concerning him, including the mental pressure of those nominees who lose during such award ceremonies. After a heart-felt speech, he announced that he’d stand for presidency in 2020.
- Nicki, while accepting the award for the Best Hip-Hop video, called out Miley onstage for the prudent comments the former Hannah Montana star made in an interview with The New York Times regarding the Twitter feud between Swift and Minaj. As they say, the VMAs seem incomplete without a little drama here, and a little controversy there.
Catch the whole spectacle with your own eyes in the following video. (Psst. It’s a 360 degree video, and we bet we’re not the only ones who wasted a lot of their time playing with the screen on this one.)
What was your favourite moment in the MTV VMAs? Do you agree with Miley wearing the dreads? Are you in love with Nicki too after she set the stage on fire? Let us know your opinionx in the comments section below.